If it grows together, it goes together: Sweet and sour from the rhubarb and herbaceous from the fennel, this drink is pure harmony.
SERVINGS: MAKES 8
- 1/4 fennel bulb, untrimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 375-ml bottle dry vermouth
- 1 large rhubarb stalk, thinly sliced, plus more, shaved, for serving
- ½ cup sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Blue Beetle Gin
- Combine fennel and vermouth in a glass container (save vermouth bottle). Cover and chill 2 days. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve back into bottle.
- Bring rhubarb, sugar, and ½ cup water to a gentle simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until mixture is pink and slightly syrupy, 14–16 minutes. Let cool, then transfer to a blender and puree until smooth (you should have about ½ cup rhubarb puree).
- Combine 12 oz. fennel-infused vermouth, rhubarb puree, lemon juice, gin, and 2 cups ice in a large pitcher. Stir until cold. Pour cocktail into ice-filled old-fashioned glasses and garnish with shaved rhubarb.
- Do Ahead: Vermouth can be infused and rhubarb puree can be made 1 week ahead; cover and chill separately.
Recipe by Dave Muller & Lana Porcello, Outerlands, San Francisco, CA
Photograph by Peden & Munk